- ISBN 10: 0323055850
- ISBN 13: 9780323055857
Written by emergency nurses for emergency nurses, this comprehensive, evidence-based resource covers the issues and procedures that are often unique to the emergency department. New developments and changes in clinical practice are incorporated throughout. The user-friendly format features more than 350 high-quality illustrations and 150 tables that highlight essential concepts and offer quick access to vital information. Key coverage includes clinical fundamentals, treatment for trauma and medical-surgical emergencies, the foundations of emergency nursing practice, and special populations.
• 58 contributors offer valuable insights from a broad range of clinical positions in rural, suburban, and urban areas.
• High-quality radiographs and other diagnostic images help you learn to identify common conditions — especially head trauma, fractures, and dislocations.
• Logically organized, chapters are grouped into six sections for quick access to important content: Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Professional Practice, Clinical Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Major Trauma Emergencies, Medical and Surgical Emergencies, and Special Patient Populations.
• Tables and boxes highlight and summarize critical information for at-a-glance reference.
• A separate unit on special patient populations covers topics such as child abuse, elder abuse, intimate partner violence, sexual assault, substance abuse and behavioral/pediatric/obstetrical emergencies.
• Priority nursing diagnoses are highlighted in a quick-reference appendix to help you focus on the most serious problems.
• Five new chapters bring you the most reliable, up-to-date information on these key topics:
• Management of the Critical Care Patient in the Emergency Department
• Family Presence During Resuscitation
• Forensic Nursing
• Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Agents of Mass Destruction
• Influenza: Seasonal, Avian, and Pandemic
• Expanded coverage of shock and sepsis provides essential information on pathophysiology and diagnosis, with valuable guidelines for managing these patients.
• A detailed discussion of various types of triage systems and triage acuity ratings examines valid and reliable methods for differentiating between patients who require immediate treatment and those who can wait.
• Additional coverage of behavioral health emergencies includes new information on agitation, substance abuse, and suicide prevention.
- Publisher: Mosby
- Edition: 6
- Dimensions: 8.80 (w) x 10.90 (h) x 1.40 (d)
- Pages: 768
- Date Published: 2009-07-14
- Authors: Patricia Kunz Howard